Teaching is a Learning Process

This is a blog dedicated to my reflections and learning as an English teacher.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Re-Inspired


I’ve been re-inspired.

I had happened into technology on accident.  When applying for my Masters program, I was excited to earn a degree in Humanities.  As an English teacher, I thought it would enhance my knowledge, and, as a result, that of my students.  A couple weeks before the cohort was to start, the university called me and told me the program would not be available, but there was a new program in Educational Technology.  Now, I had not considered myself to be a tech savvy lady, but my husband was, so I signed on.  I wasn’t sure what I was getting myself into. 

While there certainly was some web-site-HTML-I-can’t-figure-this-out stuff, what it mostly consisted of was how to use and apply software, hardware, and Web 2.0 tools to enhance education.  I was introduced to this wealth of information that I couldn’t wait to use.  I spent those two years thinking about how to use these tools in my classroom.

My favorite was blogging.  I thought about it all summer long, and couldn’t wait for my students to fall in love with it, too!  I showed them Blogger, my Blog, and how they would respond.  It failed epically.

The following year, I tried again.  Again, it failed.

At this point, I gave up.  I figured my kids just wouldn’t get it ever, they didn’t care, it was what it was. 

But, Thursday, I was re-inspired, not only to have my students blog, but to blog myself.  

I was granted the opportunity to attend the 2011 MACUL Conference, which is a technology conference for educators in Michigan.  Just looking at the catalog of sessions to attend had me jumping up and down in excitement. 

And I was not disappointed.

Resource after resource was given to me, and with each, my excitement grew.  New ways of doing old things were circulating in my mind, and I couldn’t wait to try them out – even if it might not be until next year!

The speaker who inspired me the most, though, was an English teacher who has branded himself as The Nerdy Teacher, Nicholas Provenzano.  He presented a session on blogging, which I’ve toyed with personally and as a teacher, but had ultimately given up on. Mr. Provenzano, however, filled my head with new ways to use blogs with my students, for things as simple as taking notes!  He spoke of a project his students are working in with another school in another state!  The possibilities truly are limitless. 

So, where do teachers get these brilliant ideas?  Well, it turns out it is as simple as social networking.  Apparently, I MUST sign up for Twitter.  So I did.  Apparently I must blog.  So I am.  I need to build a Professional Learning Network. 

So, here I am, at the beginning of my PLN,  and my life as a teacher truly integrating technology into education.  Thank you to all who inspired me this week at MACUL ’11!


 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home