Teaching is a Learning Process

This is a blog dedicated to my reflections and learning as an English teacher.

Monday, March 21, 2011

Goals for Growth

I am still enraptured in this world of PLNing.  I have taken to bragging to my co-workers about all of the wonderful educators out there who love to learn and love to share.  They are a little wary when I tell them they MUST begin Tweeting, but eventually, they will follow.

In the meantime, I've decided to make some technology goals for myself.  I need to keep the motivation.  While I love every second I spend reading through Twitter, and scouring blogs, I also have three small children, a husband, and a never-ending pile of papers to grade.  This way, I have something to work towards, even if it is only baby steps.

1. Get my students blogging!  As I've mentioned in previous posts, I have attempted in years past to get my students blogging.  I think writing is truly important, and there are so many things they can do with blogs.  I think I will probably get them started by taking class notes (thank you @thenerdyteacher).  By the end of the year, though, I would like them posting blogs as a form of exit cards maybe.  Something "bigger" than just class notes.

2. I would like to create a blog for my district's teachers to learn more about technology and how it can be used in the classroom.  I would like all teachers (or whoever is willing!) to contribute to it.  I know we have some techies in the crowd, so I would hope that all would be willing to share their secrets.

3. Have my students use MyFakeWall.  I already have some ideas for how they can use this for character analysis.  What a fun alternative to writing an essay!  I already know they will love it.

4. I would like my kids to use online stickies.  I'm not really sure all the ways yet; I need to think about it more.  I am seeing exit-card/BlackBoard-like chats, though.

5. Figure out how wikis fit into my classroom.  I already have a web page through our school that has pretty much everything I need to inform students and parents.  I need to research this issue more.  This might be something that is not fully developed until next year.

6. Read Marzano's book about his strategies and technology.  I am part of a pilot program that is trying Standards Based Learning, so it would be nice to learn more about how to apply technology to these strategies. 

7. Attend my first UNconference at edCamp Detroit!

8. Keep developing and growing my PLN.  I'm learning more and more every day how important it is to my development as a teacher. 

This looks like a hefty list to get through in the remaining 2 months of school.  As mentioned already, though, it doesn't all need to be done this year.  This is just my starting point, from which I intend to continue to grow!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home