Teaching is a Learning Process

This is a blog dedicated to my reflections and learning as an English teacher.

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Demand Their Best

I've been struggling a long time with the quality of the work my students turn in.  Sometimes I wonder why they bother to do it at all when they obviously put no effort into it, and therefore aren't learning anything.  This morning, it hit me.

I'm not demanding their best.

While I have demanded that they do the work, I've left out the most important part - insisting that they not only do it, but well, with 100% effort. 

I think I've known in the back of my mind that this is what was missing, and just didn't want to admit it.  I know that sometimes I accept what I get because it's easier not to fight it.  I know that by the time 6th hour comes around, I've lost the excitement and, sometimes, the care that I had in first hour. 

Mostly, though, it's because it's easier not to.

I don't like excuses.  I don't accept them from my students.  But I often make them.  I have three kids, and grade papers, and am taking a class.  I have all kinds of stuff going on.

However, the one thing I should not be slacking on, when it comes to my students, is demanding effort.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home